July 10, 2011
Yankees vs. Rays @ Yankee Stadium- 1:05 p.m EST
CC Sabathia vs. James Shields
ccom-online.com & gearlive.com
- CC Sabathia tries to become the first AL pitcher in six years with 13 wins before the break Sunday as the New York Yankees look to follow Jeter’s big day with another win over the visiting Tampa Bay Rays.
- He has surrendered one run over 22.2 innings over his last three outings, while striking out 33 over that span.
- He is already the first Yankees pitcher since Tommy John (1979-80) with 12 or more wins before the All-Star break in consecutive years; & with a victory Sunday, he’d become the first AL starter since Chicago’s Jon Garland (2005) with 13 wins at the break.
- He was 0-2 with a 4.33 ERA in his last four meetings in 2010 vs. the Rays, including a 10-3 loss in the Bronx on Sept. 23 when he gave up seven runs over 5 1-3 innings.
- James Shields is 2-2 with a 3.43 ERA in seven starts versus New York in the past two seasons, including a 6-2 home loss May 17 as Alex took him deep twice; but today, A-Rod will be seeking a second opinion on his knee before deciding whether to have surgery.
June 15, 2011
Yankees vs. Rangers @ Yankee Stadium- 6:05 p.m EST
Ivan Nova vs. Derek Holland
- The Yanks have now taken 5-of-7 from the Rangers in the 2011 Season. After the reigning AL Champs took “27″ from New York in the ALCS, the tables have apparently turned. But the Yankees are now without their “C” for 15-days on the DL & he still needs 6 hits for 3,000.
- “It’s a very important player we lost; I understand that,” Eduardo Nunez said. “My goal is to play and do my best.”
- Alexi Ogando came into the game with a 7-0 record and a 2.10 earned run average, trailing only Boston’s Josh Beckett in the A.L. He was tied with Beckett for the lowest opponents’ average, at .188, but the Yankees jumped on his high fastballs.
- Curtis Granderson matched Toronto’s Jose Bautista for the major league lead in home runs, with 21.
- The Yankees lead the majors in homers with 98 — an overwhelming advantage on their opponents, who have hit just 51.
Topic c/o Tyler Kepner
June 7, 2011
Yankees vs. Red Sox @ Yankee Stadium- 7:05 p.m EST
Freddy Garcia vs. Jon Lester
- The Yanks are 1-5 against the Red Sox this season.
- They enter Tuesday night’s series-opener with a one-game lead in the American League East.
- “It’s always the same feeling no matter what anybody’s record is when we play them. It seems to bring the best out of everybody. They’ve got a good squad, so it was just a matter of time before they put it together,” A.J. Burnett said.
- “For us right now, every game is important whether it’s a rivalry game or not. We’re playing great baseball and we’ve had some unbelievable pitching. When you’ve got a guy out there busting his tail for you every day, you feel like if you put a couple runs on the board, you have a good chance of winning that game,” Nick Swisher added.
- Finally, Joe Girardi finished up with some words of wisdom. “It’s probably going to have the same feeling that it always does, no matter when we face the Red Sox whether it’s the first series of the year or any time. They’re important. We know the importance of those games, because they’re a team we’re going to battle against all year long with the other teams in our division.”
Topic c/o MARK FEINSAND
May 28, 2011
Yankees vs. Mariners @ Safeco- 10:10 p.m EST
Ivan Nova vs. Felix Hernandez
- In his last four starts against the Yankees, he is 4-0 with a 0.51 ERA.
- “To me he is the perfect pitcher. His stuff moves and is so good you hope you hit his mistakes. When he is on he is the best,” Teixiera said.
- Nobody who saw it can forget Hernandez’s complete-game, two-hit, 11-strikeout shutout last June at Yankee Stadium.
- Curtis Granderson is at .324 (11-for-34) against Hernandez. ”When he is on nobody can hit him,” Granderson said. “Last year at Yankee Stadium, that was the best I have ever seen.
- At Safecco, The chain-link face behind the bullpen has been reduced and netting over the pen has been taken away. The changes were made to make it more fan friendly, but the Yankees are worried because fans are so close to the pitchers.
Topic c/o GEORGE A. KING III
May 27, 2011
Yankees vs. Mariners @ Safeco- 10:10 p.m EST
A.J. Burnett vs. Michael Piñeda
Topic c/o Sports King
- The Yankees lead the majors in HRs (75). Granderson has 16, while Teixeira has 13.
- Michael Piñeda is on the fast track to winning Rookie of the Year. He’s now thrown 14 consecutive scoreless innings and boasts a 6-2 record with a 2.16 ERA. In his last two victories, he’s thrown two 7 inning games and struck out a total of 16 batters. he only gave up 2 hits in the 4-0 victory over San Diego on Saturday. “I’m excited for pitching (against) the Yankees,” Piñeda said.
- Piñeda has given up only 3 homers all year and leads the AL in strikeouts per 9 innings with 9.41.
- The Mariners have won 7 of their last 8 games. They are last in the majors with only 27 home runs on the year.
- “Their pitching is very, very good. I do know that. I tuned into a game about a week ago, and Justin Smoak had had a pretty good year from what I saw a week ago, and Ichiro is always going to be Ichiro,” Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.